Nothing beats the power of a black woman. Today at Women of Rubies, we have curated inspirational black women quotes from authors, actresses, activists, and more to help you go through your week.
A black woman’s wisdom is endless. This collection is a fraction of it, featuring quotes from insightful, powerful, and beautiful black women. We hope to inspire you during your day whether you are powering through a workday or enjoying a much-needed self-care day.
Whether you choose to scribble your favorite quote in your journal or repost the quote on Instagram, be sure to record your favorites for any time you need a quick motivation to help you go through a rough moment.
So, here we go:
- A reminder that you should not settle for less. “Do not settle for average. Bring your best to the moment. Then, whether it fails or succeeds, at least you know you gave all you had. We need to live the best that’s in us.” – Angela Bassett
- Silence negativity. “There’s always something to suggest that you’ll never be who you wanted to be. Your choice is to take it or keep on moving.” — Phylicia Rashad
- About Failure… “You will be wounded many times in your life. You’ll make mistakes. Some people will call them failures but I have learned that failure is really God’s way of saying, “Excuse me, you’re moving in the wrong direction.” It’s just an experience, just an experience.” – Oprah Winfrey
- Being Courageous… “You may not always have a comfortable life and you will not always be able to solve all of the world’s problems at once but don’t ever underestimate the importance you can have because history has shown us that courage can be contagious and hope can take on a life of its own.” – Michelle Obama
- Risks Are Worth Taking… “I’d rather regret the risks that didn’t work out than the chances I didn’t take at all.” – Simone Biles
- Follow your heart… Don’t settle… “I have always believed that when you follow your heart or your gut, when you really follow the things that feel great to you, you can never lose, because settling is the worst feeling in the world.” – Rihanna
- Be relentless… “There have been so many people who have said to me, ‘You can’t do that,’ but I’ve had an innate belief that they were wrong. Be unwavering and relentless in your approach.” – Halle Berry
- Let your passion blaze… “Be passionate and move forward with gusto every single hour of every single day until you reach your goal.” — Ava DuVernay
- Place premium value on what you do… “When you undervalue what you do, the world will undervalue who you are.” ― Oprah Winfrey
- You are limitless! “Never limit yourself because of others’ limited imagination; never limit others because of your own limited imagination.” — Dr. Mae Jemison
- Make things happen… You can and you should! “You can’t just sit there and wait for people to give you that golden dream. You’ve got to get out there and make it happen for yourself.” — Diana Ross
No matter how you define success, self-acceptance is crucial to achieving it. Whether you are on the starting line or half-way through your journey towards self-acceptance, remember that you are not walking alone. Many of the black women featured above have traveled through their own journeys and re-emerged a happier person.
Just give yourself time. Soon, you will reach those personal goals. If you know someone who’s on a similar journey, share with them one of the above quotes through their social media page. Sometimes, all we need is an extra push to keep going.
I hope you find strength and courage to stay afloat this week and beyond.